Monthly Archives: November 2016

Murderabilia for sale: Fort Hood shooter’s views on mass shooting

FILE - This undated file photo provided by the Bell County Sheriff's Department via The Temple Daily Telegram shows Nidal Hasan. In a video released Thursday, Oct. 18, 2012, many of those affected by the shooting rampage three years ago at Fort Hood urged the government to declare it a terrorist attack, saying wounded soldiers and victims' relatives otherwise won't receive the same benefits as those in a combat zone. (AP Photo/Bell County Sheriff's Department via The Temple Daily Telegram, File) Photo: Uncredited, HOPD / Bell County Sheriff's Department
In a handwritten book believed to be penned by Fort Hood shooter Nidal Hasan, the convicted killer claims his actions were taken “in defense of Islam” by a “sincere Muslim.”

Read more at: http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Murderabilia-for-sale-Fort-Hood-shooter-s-views-10645891.php

Victim of Bourbon Street mass shooting hit in hand and chest

NEW ORLEANS —

One of the victims of the mass shooting on Bourbon Street is speaking out after being shot multiple times.

Corey Singleton is out of the hospital. He is recovering at his home in Baton Rouge after being shot twice, once in the hand and once in the chest.

“One finger was hanging off and the other one was, like, blown off and you can look inside my finger and see my bone,” Singleton said.

“I tried to escape and run. I got hit in my chest and I got hit in my fingers. It knocked one of my fingers off my hand.”

Singleton had been in town for the Bayou Classic.

When he was heading back to his hotel early Sunday morning, gunfire erupted on the 100 block of Bourbon Street.

“I did hear the gunshots. That’s why I turned and started running,” Singleton said. “I think it was

Read more at: http://www.wdsu.com/article/victim-of-bourbon-street-mass-shooting-hit-in-hand-and-chest/8381228

Police in French Quarter, residents discuss crime fighting strategy after mass shooting

NEW ORLEANS —

Police working to protect New Orleans’ biggest tourism corridor met Tuesday to discuss strategy after a mass shooting on Bourbon Street killed one man and wounded nine other people.

Almost three full days since Sunday’s shooting, New Orleans police have made no arrests, but said homicide detectives are following leads.

Ever since another high-profile shooting on Bourbon Street, Louisiana State Police have had a very visible presence in the French Quarter in recent years. While residents agree troopers have made things safer, they say more needs to be done.

“What concerns me is they keep happening, and we need a plan to stop them from happening,” said Bob Simms who lives two blocks off Bourbon St.

Twice since June 2014, the busy destination has been the scene of a mass shootings.

“We need to address the issues of the past, and not have it happen again,” said

Read more at: http://www.wdsu.com/article/french-quarter-police-residents-discuss-crime-fighting-strategy-after-mass-shooting/8380741

Bourbon Street mass shooting capped alarming uptick in New …

The Bourbon Street mass shooting that killed Demontris Toliver and wounded nine others early Sunday (Nov. 27) immediately drew national and international attention. But by Monday morning it roused near nonchalance from locals, as a French Quarter worker near the shooting scene admitted. 

Perhaps that is because the 10 people left bleeding on the Bourbon Street pavement joined dozens of other victims of an uptick in gun violence that has built over the last several weeks in New Orleans, data show. In just October and November, a total of 36 people have been murdered in the city — more than three times the 11 total murders recorded in the same two months last year. 

The Bourbon Street shooting also punctuated a violent Thanksgiving holiday weekend and it helped assure this year’s tally of murders and non-fatal shootings will likely be higher than last year’s figures. Toliver’s death pushed New Orleans’ murder tally to 163 this year — just one

Read more at: http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2016/11/bourbon_street_shooting_new_or_4.html

Manhunt underway for two men in connection with mass shooting in French Quarter

NEW ORLEANS —

A manhunt is underway for two men who police say got into a fight that ended with them shooting at one another early Sunday in the French Quarter.

One person died and nine others were wounded in the crossfire. Police said none of the victims were the intended targets.

Another survivor was released from the hospital on Monday. Detectives at the New Orleans Police Department said three are still being treated. Their conditions are unknown.

“I just want to say I thank God that I still got my child, because I could have gotten a call saying she was dead,” Jessie Ben said.

Ben’s daughter, Britney, and her grandson were shot early Sunday morning in the 100 block of Bourbon Street when gunfire broke out during a busy weekend in the French Quarter.

“The doctor told me that my daughter was shot five times, three times in

Read more at: http://www.wdsu.com/article/manhunt-underway-for-two-men-behind-mass-shooting-in-french-quarter/8374323

As Bourbon Street sees yet another mass shooting, La. politician fears ‘thugs’ will ‘kill tourism’


Orleans Parish Sheriff Office mounted patrol officers block off a crime scene after a fatal shooting in New Orleans on Sunday. (Matthew Hinton/Advocate via AP)

The day after a shooting on Bourbon Street in the French Quarter of New Orleans left one dead and nine injured, Louisiana’s Lt. Gov. Billy Nungesser (R) said he feared the state would “let thugs kill” the city’s multibillion-dollar tourism industry.

On Sunday, the French Quarter was packed when a 1:30 a.m. argument between two tourists turned into the city’s latest mass shooting.

Though more than three dozen police officers were patrolling the Quarter because the city was hosting the Bayou Classic — an annual college football game between Grambling State and Southern University — 10 people were struck by stray bullets. One of them, 25-year-old Demontris Toliver, died.

“It’s the one thing that can destroy the tourism industry,” said Nungesser, who

Read more at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/11/29/as-bourbon-street-sees-yet-another-mass-shooting-la-politician-fears-thugs-will-kill-tourism/

Former Navy SEAL Reveals 10 Steps to Survive a Mass Shooting

If you love your family and friends then you need to share this with them, it could save their lives.

My kids are visiting me in New York for the summer, they spend most their time with their mom on the west coast. On our first day in the city I briefed them on what to do if we encountered an active shooter, or a terrible situation like what happened in Paris, or more recently in Orlando.

Regardless of your position on gun rights and Muslims in America, the one thing we should all agree on, is that we live in a dangerous world, more so since the terrorist attacks of September 11th, 2001. Mass shootings continue to rise, as does the threat of terrorism at home and abroad in Europe. If you visit a crowded metropolis your risk increases, especially in a city like New York.

So here I was, having a serious talk again

Read more at: https://sofrep.com/68856/navy-seal-reveals-10-steps-survive-mass-shooting-2/

John Bel Edwards says state police will help with Bourbon Street mass shooting investigation

Gov. John Bel Edwards announced the Louisiana State Police are assisting with the investigation into a Bourbon Street mass shooting that occurred over the weekend at the request of the New Orleans Police Department. 

“The city of New Orleans is the lead and we’re in the support role,” said Doug Cain, communications director for the state police. 

State police already have an elevated presence in the French Quarter. They assigned a special detail to the historic neighborhood in June 2014, in response to a previous mass shooting in the Quarter that left residents and businesses shaken. French Quarter residents agreed to an additional sales tax last year in order to pay for the extra state troopers on patrol. 

The 2014 shooting that led to a increased state police presence bears some striking similarities to the Bourbon Street shooting over the weekend. Both attacks left one person dead and injured nine others. 

The additional state police

Read more at: http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2016/11/bourbon_street_shooting_edward.html

Is New Orleans Safe? Latest French Quarter Mass Shooting Could Hurt Tourism

Millions of visitors flock to New Orleans’ famed Bourbon Street every year to partake in world-renowned events like Mardi Gras and Jazz Fest. But in the wake of another mass shooting in the French Quarter, some local businesses fear tourists will ultimately shy away from the historic neighborhood to stay safe.

New Orleans’ French Quarter was especially crowded during the mass shooting Sunday that resulted in one dead and nine wounded. Visitors had inundated the narrow streets of the French Quarter the entire “Bayou Classic” weekend, where they partook in the Thanksgiving parade Thursday, a college football game between Grambling State and Southern University Saturday and a professional football game Sunday with the hometown team, The Saints.

The fatal shootout escalated from an argument between two men, CNN reported Sunday. None of the 10 pedestrians who were shot early Sunday morning in the crossfire were involved with the dispute. 

Local police said they had “strong information” about

Read more at: http://www.ibtimes.com/new-orleans-safe-latest-french-quarter-mass-shooting-could-hurt-tourism-2451894

Kansas woman faces sentencing in mass shooting case | The …

A federal judge will weigh the mental state of a woman who gave her ex-boyfriend guns he used in February’s mass shooting at a Kansas lawn equipment factory in deciding what her sentence should be this week.

The defense attorney for Sarah Hopkins has filed a sentencing memorandum that includes her psychological evaluation in advance of Monday’s hearing before U.S. District Judge Eric Melgren in Wichita.

In their own words: Kansas mass shooting and its aftermath

jalbert@wichitaeagle.com

Though the memo is sealed, earlier defense filings cited an evaluation in March that concluded Hopkins suffered from PTSD and battered woman’s syndrome at the time of the offenses.

Prosecutors say Hopkins gave a semi-automatic rifle and a handgun to Cedric Ford, a convicted felon who took those weapons to the Excel Industries plant in Hesston on Feb. 25 and shot several people, killing three and wounding 14. Ford was shot

Read more at: http://www.kansas.com/news/local/crime/article117459563.html