Monthly Archives: February 2017

Manhunt for accused Mississippi killer ends in Kansas

On Monday, Sheriff Bryan Bailey promised the public that he and his deputies wouldn’t rest until Alex Deaton was in custody.

Wednesday morning, Bailey was exhausted, but visibly relieved as he addressed the media about the manhunt for the accused murderer that had finally ended in a fiery crash in Kansas.

“It’s like a weight off your chest. I can breathe,” he said. “From the time we were trying to track him when he went off the grid Saturday until today, my worst nightmare was that he was going to pop up here in Mississippi again and go on another killing spree.”

Deaton’s alleged spree started with his petite blonde girlfriend Heather Robinson, a nurse, in her Rankin County apartment. Bailey said police believe they know what started Deaton on a seemingly erratic spiral that culminated on that

Read more at: http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/local/2017/03/01/alex-deaton-allegedly-involved-nm-shooting-carjacking/98567484/

Man held for knife rampage at care home sorry for mass deaths

SAGAMIHARA–A man accused of killing 19 people and injuring 26 at a facility for disabled people here has apologized for his actions during a rare interview with an Asahi Shimbun reporter.

“I sincerely apologize for what I did–killing and injuring disabled people due to my selfish, egotistical attitude and actions, and hurting many people by causing anger and sorrow,” Satoshi Uematsu told the reporter who visited him at Tsukui Police Station here on Feb. 28.

A police officer, who was present at the interview, had prohibited questions being asked about the case, but Uematsu ignored the attempts to stop him talking and kept apologizing during the approximately 10-minute meeting.

After his arrest last year, the 27-year-old reportedly made self-righteous remarks during questioning by the Kanagawa prefectural police.

“Disabled people make people around them unhappy,” he was quoted as having said. “It is better for them not to exist.”

Uematsu, a former employee of the Tsukui

Read more at: http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201703010051.html

Youngstown News, Autopsies performed on two young men killed in …

Family member establishes GoFundMe account seeking financial assistance

By Ed Runyan

runyan@vindy.com

youngstown

The Mahoning County Coroner’s office says Joshua Williams, 20, of Warren, one of the two young men shot to death Saturday in a mass shooting in Howland, died of five gunshot wounds of the chest and abdomen.

The other man who died, Josh Haber, 19, of Warren, died of a single gunshot wound to the abdomen and chest, the Trumbull County coroner’s office reported.

Both deaths are ruled homicides.

Dr. Joseph Ohr, forensic pathologist for Mahoning County, said Williams suffered “devastating” wounds and “died within seconds” of being shot.

Williams, of Woodbine Avenue Southeast, was taken to St. Elizabeth Youngstown Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. His autopsy was performed Monday.

Williams was one of five people who traveled in a minivan to the home and business of Nasser Hamad, 47, on state Route 46 Saturday afternoon.

An affidavit filed with Trumbull County Common Pleas

Read more at: http://www.vindy.com/news/2017/mar/01/coroner-rules-deaths-as-homicides/?mobile

Autopsies performed on two young men killed in mass shooting; Go-Fund-Me site established

Family member establishes GoFundMe account seeking financial assistance

By Ed Runyan

runyan@vindy.com

youngstown

The Mahoning County Coroner’s office says Joshua Williams, 20, of Warren, one of the two young men shot to death Saturday in a mass shooting in Howland, died of five gunshot wounds of the chest and abdomen.

The other man who died, Josh Haber, 19, of Warren, died of a single gunshot wound to the abdomen and chest, the Trumbull County coroner’s office reported.

Both deaths are ruled homicides.

Dr. Joseph Ohr, forensic pathologist for Mahoning County, said Williams suffered “devastating” wounds and “died within seconds” of being shot.

Williams, of Woodbine Avenue Southeast, was taken to St. Elizabeth Youngstown Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. His autopsy was performed Monday.

Williams was one of five people who traveled in a minivan to the home and business of Nasser Hamad, 47, on state Route 46 Saturday afternoon.

An affidavit filed with Trumbull County Common Pleas Court

Read more at: http://www.vindy.com/news/2017/mar/01/coroner-rules-deaths-as-homicides/

Norway court to rule on mass killer Breivik’s prison conditions

By

our dpa-correspondent and Europe Online
  
    

Oslo (dpa) – A Norwegian appeals court is due rule Wednesday on
whether Anders Behring Breivik, the right-wing extremist who killed
77 people in 2011, is subject to prison conditions that violate his
human rights.

A lower court ruled last year that some of the conditions under
which Breivik lives are “inhumane and degrading,” violating the
European Convention of Human Rights.

That court, however, rejected Breivik‘s complaints

Read more at: http://en.europeonline-magazine.eu/norway-court-to-rule-on-mass-killer-breiviks-prison-conditions_520660.html

First responders practice drills to prepare for mass casualty

But this was much more than just a roundtable discussion.

The nurses and doctors who worked at Orlando Regional Medical Center the night of the shooting shared their experiences and lessons learned, but in additional to their expertise the St. Johns County Fire and Rescue Department went through multiple simulated drills to prepare for a similar kind of disaster.

In the months and days leading up to the Pulse Nightclub shooting on June 12 the Orlando hospital staff worked with their first responded on similar scenarios.

Steven McMichen was 25 years old when the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history unfolded and he was right in the thick of it.

Read more at: http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/community/first-responders-go-through-drills-to-prepare-for-mass-casualty/416244027

Why you shouldn’t play dead during a mass shooting

Disclaimer: Part of the footage used in this video was from a police training exercise simulating a terrorist attack at Manchester’s Trafford Centre.

In the event of a terror attack like a mass shooting, playing dead may not be a safe procedure to follow.

“Although it may work – it may not – it is now less likely to work than it was previously thought in different circumstances,” Security and Risk Assessment Specialist Steve McCann told Business Insider.

“Because we know individuals tend to go around shooting bodies, I would simply be looking to escape as fast as possible.”

McCann also said taking security measures should be normal practice, such as putting yourself near to an exit.

Produced by Claudia Romeo. Filmed by Joe Daunt.

 

Read more at: http://www.businessinsider.com/security-expert-steve-mccann-play-dead-mass-shooting-terror-attack-2017-2

Victims´ families to sue travel firm over Tunisia terror attack

By Press Association

Lawyers said they planned civil proceedings against the tour operator after the coroner conducting the inquests of the 30 Britons murdered on the Mediterranean coast in Sousse ruled they were unlawfully killed.

However, Judge Nicholas Loraine-Smith ruled against a finding of “neglect” by Thomson owner TUI, or the owners of the Riu Imperial Marhaba where radicalised mass-killer Seifeddine Rezgui slaughtered a total of 38 people, including three Irish citizens.

The families of the dead, many of whom wept as the inquests’ conclusions were read out on Tuesday, were highly critical of security at the hotel, which only had a handful of unarmed guards on duty when Rezgui struck, armed with an AK-47 assault rifle and home-made grenades.

Read more at: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/article-4266692/Judge-deliver-conclusions-inquest-deaths-Tunisia-attack-victims.html

Hate Crime Weighed in Shooting of Two Indian Engineers at Kansas Bar

A man accused of killing an Indian immigrant and wounding another, along with a man who tried to intervene, in a Kansas bar Wednesday was due in court today as the FBI investigates whether he should be charged with a hate crime.

Adam Purinton, 51, is currently charged with first-degree murder and two counts of attempted first-degree murder for the shooting at Austins Bar Grill in Olathe, Kansas.

Srinivas Kuchibhotla, 32, and Alok Madasani, 32, were engineers from India who were educated in the United States and were working at Garmin. Kuchibhotla died, while Madasani and bar partron Ian Grillot, 24, were wounded. Grillot tried to rush the shooter after counting the shots and believing he was out of bullets.

Madasani told the New York Times that Purinton was sitting near them on the restaurant’s patio shortly after 7 p.m. “He asked us what visa are we currently on and whether we are staying here

Read more at: https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/2017/02/27/hate-crime-weighed-in-shooting-of-two-indian-engineers-at-kansas-bar/

Fact-checking a claim about mass shootings and gun-free zones

In the wake of mass shootings at the Pulse night club in Orlando and at the Fort Lauderdale airport, Florida lawmakers are expected to act on a series of bills to expand where people can carry their guns.

The bills would allow concealed-carry permit holders to carry their guns in places such as airports, schools, college campuses, police stations and polling places. Florida leads the nation in conceal-carry permits, with more than 1.7 million permits.

Republican House Speaker Richard Corcoran supports expanding the list of places permit holders can carry their guns, possibly as a way to avert future attacks. (So does President Donald Trump, who promised to get rid of gun-free zones in schools and military bases.)

“Most of these mass shootings take place in arenas where you’re not allowed to have a concealed weapons permit,” he told CBS4 Miami’s Jim DeFede on

Read more at: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/state/florida/article135237299.html