The hotel where the Las Vegas gunman carried out a sniping attack on concertgoers last month is laying off employees and cutting back its hours—a cost-cutting measure as it deals with a shrinking number of guests since the hotel saw the deadliest mass shooting in recent U.S. history.
Several hundred employees at the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino were affected by the cuts, according to local NPR affiliate KNPR.
The cuts came after the hotel’s parent company, MGM, announced its third-quarter earnings, the first financial disclosure since the Oct. 1 attack that left 58 dead and more than 500 others injured after gunman Stephen Paddock opened fire from his hotel room on the 32nd floor. After the attack, MGM Resorts’ stock plummeted but had steadily increased to its levels before the shooting. But company revenue is down 72 percent compared to last year’s earnings in the same quarter, decreasing from $535.6 million to
Read more at: http://www.newsweek.com/hotel-where-las-vegas-gunman-stayed-laying-employees-after-mass-shooting-709434
A man dressed in all black and wearing a “ballistic vest” fired a Ruger semi-automatic rifle at a church in a small South Texas community on Sunday, killing 26 people and wounding about 20 others in the deadliest mass shooting in the state’s history, the governor said. Victims were churchgoers as young as five and as old as 72.
The gunman has been identified as Devin Patrick Kelley, 26, of neighboring Comal County, officials said. Kelley was among the dead, law enforcement officials said, and they are working to search his home.
DPS Regional Director Freeman Martin said 23 people were found dead inside the church, two were found outside and one victim died at the hospital.
Martin said the suspect crossed the street from a Valero gas station, fired at the church and entered the church, firing from a Ruger AR rifle. He eventually dropped his rifle and fled the scene.
Read more at: https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/national-international/Several-Shot-Near-Texas-Church-Authorities-455391403.html
By JIM VERTUNO
SUTHERLAND SPRINGS, Texas (AP) — A man dressed in black tactical-style gear and armed with an assault rifle opened fire inside a church in a small South Texas community on Sunday, killing 26 people and wounding about 20 others in what the governor called the deadliest mass shooting in the state’s history. The dead ranged in age from 5 to 72 years old.
Authorities didn’t identify the attacker during a news conference Sunday night, but two other officials — one a U.S. official and one in law enforcement — identified him as Devin Kelley. They spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity because they weren’t authorized to discuss the investigation.
The U.S. official said Kelley lived in a San Antonio suburb and didn’t appear to be linked to organized terrorist groups. Investigators were looking at social media posts Kelley made in the days before Sunday’s attack, including
Read more at: http://www.twincities.com/2017/11/05/local-media-say-multiple-victims-in-texas-church-shooting/
A man opened fire on a church in South Texas on Sunday, killing several people and wounding others.
Authorities haven’t released the name of the attacker or said how many people he killed in the First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, but a Wilson County commissioner, Albert Gamez, told cable news outlets he was told it was more than 20 killed and more than 20 wounded, though those figures hadn’t been confirmed.
The county sheriff, Joe Tackett, told the Wilson County News that the gunman had been “taken down.”
Here’s a look at some of the nation’s deadliest mass shootings since 2012:
— Oct. 1, 2017: A gunman identified by authorities as Stephen Paddock opened fire on an outdoor music festival on the Las Vegas Strip from the 32nd floor of a hotel-casino, killing 58 people and wounding more than 500. SWAT teams with explosives then stormed his
Read more at: http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/texas-church-attack-latest-us-mass-shooting-50947544
‘Bombshell: Women and Terror’ author Mia Bloom provides insight on ‘The Story.’
The Las Vegas gunman behind the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history spent decades stockpiling guns and living a “secret life” that investigators may never be able to fully understand, police say.
Clark County, Nev., Sheriff Joseph Lombardo said Wednesday that it was only logical to “make the assumption” that Stephen Paddock had “some help at some point” in pulling off Sunday’s massacre.
As evidence, Lombardo
Read more at: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/10/05/las-vegas-sheriff-mass-killer-likely-had-some-help-at-some-point.html
Mourners attend a candlelight vigil at the corner of Sahara Avenue and Las Vegas Boulevard for the victims of Sunday night’s mass shooting in Las Vegas.
Drew Angerer/Getty Images
Read more at: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/10/02/555018665/las-vegas-mass-shooting-latest-who-are-the-victims
Updated 12:48 PM ET, Mon October 2, 2017
Chat with us in Facebook Messenger. Find out what’s happening in the world as it unfolds.
(CNN)When a gunman opened fire on a crowd gathered for a music festival on the Las Vegas Strip, he killed at least 58 people — making the Sunday night incident the deadliest mass shooting in the United States.
Read more at: http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/02/us/las-vegas-attack-deadliest-us-mass-shooting-trnd/index.html
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – A California man was sentenced on Friday to life in prison without the possibility of parole for the worst mass killing in Orange County history, the 2011 shooting deaths of eight people at a hair salon where his ex-wife worked.
Scott Dekraai, a 47-year-old former tugboat worker, was spared the death penalty in August when a judge ruled that serious misconduct by Orange County prosecutors had violated his rights to a fair trial.
“The gates of Hell flew open and you emerged as the face of evil in this community” Superior Court Judge Thomas Goethals told Dekraai before pronouncing the sentence, according to the Orange County Register newspaper.
The Los Angeles Times reported that Dekraai attempted to apologize to the husband of one of his victims but was cut off by a member of the audience shouting “Shut up!”
Dekraai was locked in a custody battle
Read more at: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-california-salon-massacre/california-mass-killer-sentenced-to-life-in-prison-for-hair-salon-attack-idUSKCN1BX2PN