Tag Archives: court

U.S. Supreme Court will not hear Cleveland mass murderer Anthony …

Anthony Sowell 

CLEVELAND, Ohio — The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday said it will not review Anthony Sowell’s appeal, after the state’s top court upheld the Cleveland mass murderer’s convictions and death sentence.

The Supreme Court’s denial of Sowell’s case is just the latest in what will be a litany of challenges and court decisions in the years to come.

Sowell, 58, is on death row for killing 11 women and burying their bodies at his Imperial Avenue home on the city’s southeast side.

The Ohio Supreme Court ruled 5-2 in December and rejected Sowell’s argument for a new trial on the grounds that the judge who presided over Sowell’s 2011 trial had improperly closed a hearing. Ohio Justice Terrence O’Donnell wrote that while the judge did not correctly document all of the findings

Read more at: http://www.cleveland.com/court-justice/index.ssf/2017/10/us_supreme_court_will_not_hear.html

US Supreme Court will not hear Cleveland mass murderer Anthony Sowell’s appeal

Anthony Sowell 

CLEVELAND, Ohio — The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday said it will not review Anthony Sowell’s appeal, after the state’s top court upheld the Cleveland mass murderer’s convictions and death sentence.

The Supreme Court’s denial of Sowell’s case is just the latest in what will be a litany of challenges and court decisions in the years to come.

Sowell, 58, is on death row for killing 11 women and burying their bodies at his Imperial Avenue home on the city’s southeast side.

The Ohio Supreme Court ruled 5-2 in December and rejected Sowell’s argument for a new trial on the grounds that the judge who presided over Sowell’s 2011 trial had improperly closed a hearing to the public. Ohio Justice Terrence O’Donnell wrote that while the judge did not correctly document all

Read more at: http://www.cleveland.com/court-justice/index.ssf/2017/10/us_supreme_court_will_not_hear.html

Court records released on Clovis mass shooting suspect

AMARILLO, TX (KFDA) –

We are continuing to learn more details on the Clovis-Carver Public Library shooting incident that left two people dead and four injured.

Court records released today says 16-year-old Nathaniel Jouett took two handguns from his father’s safe. His father then called 911 to report the guns missing just 16 minutes after police were alerted of the shooting.

Jouett admitted to the shooting and said it’s something he’s been thinking about “for a while.”

“I didn’t think I would do it,” said Jouett, “I thought I would kill myself or a bunch of people.” 

Jouett continued on by telling officers that he didn’t intend to shoot anyone in particular and he just began shooting and yelling.

Court records show that Jouett continued to walk through the library until he was confronted by police. 

He admitted to officers that he was kind of

Read more at: http://www.newschannel10.com/story/36255615/court-records-released-on-clovis-mass-shooting-suspect

Court documents detail fatal library shooting in New Mexico

CLOVIS, N.M. (AP) — The father of a teenager accused of gunning down two employees inside a New Mexico public library and wounding four others sensed trouble when he discovered two handguns were missing from his home safe.

He called Clovis police to report that information and the fact that his troubled 16-year-old son — on suspension from high school — was not at home.

But by then, the fatal shooting had already occurred.

According to court documents filed Wednesday, Nathaniel Jouett had planned to shoot up his high school but went to the rural community’s library instead Monday afternoon.

Jouett faces nearly a dozen charges including first-degree murder, child abuse, assault with intent to commit a violent felony and aggravated battery.

He remains in custody at a juvenile detention center pending a hearing Thursday afternoon.

Copyright © 2017 The Associated Press. All

Read more at: http://wtop.com/national/2017/08/teen-mass-shooting-suspect-was-searching-for-inner-peace/

Court Records Reveal New Details on Motivation for Mass Shooting

Read more at: http://www.everythinglubbock.com/news/klbk-news/court-records-reveal-new-details-on-motivation-for-mass-shooting-in-clovis/801560330

New York Times Editor To Court: Paper Didn’t Blame Sarah Palin For Mass Shooting

Attorneys for Sarah Palin and the New York Times put the newspaper’s editorial sausage-making process under examination today, as a Manhattan federal district court judge heard testimony about how, exactly, one particularly gristly bite came into being.

Insisting he did not intend to imply a “causal link” between the 2011 mass shooting that left Rep. Gabby Giffords of Arizona severely wounded and a notorious “crosshairs” map distributed by a Sarah Palin PAC, Times editorial page editor James Bennet took the court through an exhaustively detailed parsing of a recent editorial that the former VP candidate claims was defamatory.

Bennet, who wrote the most objectionable portions of the editorial being challenged by Palin’s lawsuit, said he in no way meant to suggest that shooter “was acting because of this map.”

The map, distributed by a Palin PAC prior to the 2011 Giffords shooting that left six people

Read more at: http://deadline.com/2017/08/sarah-palin-new-york-times-james-bennet-defamation-lawsuit-1202150019/

High Court to rule on Hoddle St killer

The High Court is set to decide whether laws keeping Melbourne mass killer Julian Knight in jail indefinitely are unconstitutional.

Knight has been behind bars since he killed seven people and injured 19 others in a shooting rampage in Hoddle Street, Clifton Hill in 1987.

He is fighting retrospective laws passed by Victoria in 2014 preventing his release unless he’s on his deathbed or too frail to harm others.

The High Court, sitting in Brisbane, is set to rule on Thursday whether the laws are unconstitutional following legal action by Knight against the Victorian government and Adult Parole Board.

The killer pleaded guilty to seven counts of murder and 46 counts of attempted murder, and was eligible for parole in May 2014 before the law changed.

Knight was 19 and a failed, bullied army cadet when he went on the lethal rampage.

On the August 13, 30th anniversary of the shooting, Knight’s forensic psychologist said Knight

Read more at: http://www.9news.com.au/national/2017/08/17/03/33/high-court-to-rule-on-hoddle-st-killer

Accused Mass Murderer In Court Today

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) – A Mississippi man charged with killing eight people is set to appear in court.

Willie Cory Godbolt has been jailed without bond since his arrest May 28, shortly after the fatal shootings of a sheriff’s deputy and seven others who were Godbolt’s relatives or acquaintances.

The killings May 27 and 28 occurred at three homes in and around Brookhaven, Mississippi.

They began after a deputy responded to a disturbance call at a home where witnesses say Godbolt was arguing with his estranged wife.

Prosecutors will ask a judge Wednesday to send Godbolt’s case to a grand jury.

Godbolt is charged with one count of capital murder, which could carry the death penalty, in the deputy’s shooting.

He’s also charged with seven counts of murder, which could carry life without parole.

(Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Related Posts

http://wkrg.com/2017/07/26/accused-mass-murderer-in-court-today/

Alleged murderer’s competency called into question in Collier court

Collier County’s most gruesome murder case is coming to a close. Accused mass murderer, Mesac Damas, said he wants to plead guilty and be executed.

He’s the man charged with the murders of his wife and five children.

It seemed like Damas had an agenda in court on Friday. He wouldn’t answer the judge’s questions, and instead told the judge he wanted to plead guilty and get it over with.

“I would like to represent myself. I would like these two gentlemen to be removed from the case, and I would like to plead guilty now,” Damas said in a court hearing.

He’s asked multiple times to fire his attorneys and said he wants to face the death penalty – but neither of those things happened in the courtroom.

After Damas refused to answer some of the questions that were asked of him, the judge ordered another competency evaluation. He’s unsure that Damas is competent

Read more at: http://www.nbc-2.com/story/35939172/watch-live-colliers-most-gruesome-murder-case-could-be-over-today

Norwegian mass killer Breivik appeals to European court of human …

OSLO – Norwegian mass killer Anders Behring Breivik, who has legally changed his name to Fjotolf Hansen, has filed an appeal to the European court of human rights against his prison conditions, his lawyer was quoted as saying on Thursday.

Earlier this month, the Norwegian Supreme Court declined to take up an appeal lodged by the anti-Muslim far-right extremist, who killed 77 people in Norway’s worst peacetime atrocity in July 2011.

One of his lawyers, Oeystein Storrvik, had said at the time that he would file an appeal to the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg.

“The essence of our complaint is that we protest against the excessive level of isolation and that this isolation has taken place for a long time,” Storrvik told state broadcaster NRK.

Breivik is seeking to overturn a March decision by a Norwegian appeals court that ruled that his near-isolation in a three-room cell

Read more at: http://ewn.co.za/2017/06/29/norwegian-mass-killer-breivik-appeals-to-european-court-of-human-rights