Tag Archives: judge

WATCH LIVE: Judge expected to make decision soon in Jesse Osborne waiver hearing

Jesse Osborne, the 15-year-old accused in the Townville Elementary School shooting that occurred when he was 14, will be tried on the charges as an adult.

Judge Edgar Long made the decision to waive the teenager out of Family Court and up to General Sessions on Friday.

Osborne faces two charges of murder, three charges of attempted murder and five counts of possessing a weapon during a violent crime for the 2016 shooting.

He faces sentences that are likely decades long

Read more at: https://www.independentmail.com/story/news/crime/2018/02/16/jesse-osborne-waiver-hearing-decision-ahead-townville-elementary-school-shooting-trial/344413002/

Judge orders media to return mass shooting autopsy report

A Las Vegas judge has ordered The Associated Press and Las Vegas Review-Journal to return copies of a redacted autopsy of an off-duty police officer killed in the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history.

The judge’s ruling on Friday also barred the media organizations from further reporting the details of Officer Charleston Hartfield’s autopsy.

AP attorney Brian Barrett said the news cooperative would immediately appeal the ruling.

The autopsy record was one of 58 that another judge ordered the Clark County coroner’s office to release last week to the AP and Review-Journal.

The officer’s widow, Veronica Hartfield, argued the autopsy records were confidential and contained protected health information.

Attorneys representing the news organizations said once personal identifiers are redacted, claims to privacy no longer apply.

Read more at: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/09/judge-orders-media-to-return-mass-shooting-autopsy-report.html

Judge: Las Vegas police must release mass shooting records – KABC

A judge in Las Vegas has ordered police to make public 911 calls, police officer body camera video and several other records that authorities sought to keep secret until they finish their investigation into last year’s mass shooting.

Nevada state court Judge Richard Scotti on Wednesday ruled the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department must begin releasing records to media organizations that requested them starting hours after the Oct. 1 shooting on the Las Vegas Strip.

The department was ordered to redact all identifiable information, including names, Social Security numbers and portions of videos in which people could be easily recognized.

“If the government contended that the requested records were confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure, then the government had a duty to redact confidential information and produce the non-confidential portions of the records,” Scotti said. “Wholesale withholding of documents with a general claim of confidentiality suggests to this court that records have

Read more at: http://abc7.com/judge-las-vegas-police-must-release-mass-shooting-records/3052821/

Judge: Las Vegas Police Must Release Mass Shooting Records

A judge in Las Vegas has ordered police to make public 911 calls, police officer body camera video and several other records that authorities sought to keep secret until they finish their investigation into last year’s mass shooting.

Nevada state court Judge Richard Scotti on Wednesday ruled the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department must begin releasing records to media organizations that requested them starting hours after the Oct. 1 shooting on the Las Vegas Strip. The department was ordered to redact all identifiable information, including names, Social Security numbers and portions of videos in which people could be easily recognized.

“If the government contended that the requested records were confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure, then the government had a duty to redact confidential information and produce the non-confidential portions of the records,” Scotti said. “Wholesale withholding of documents with a general claim of confidentiality suggests to this court

Read more at: https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/national-international/Judge-Las-Vegas-Police-Must-Release-Mass-Shooting-Records-473253773.html

Judge: Las Vegas police must release mass shooting records

A Reno firearms instructors speaks out about what she experienced during the shooting in Las Vegas. Alisha Ketter said she encourages everyone to take first aid, firearms or self-defense training classes.
Marcella Corona/RGJ

Read more at: http://www.rgj.com/story/news/crime/2018/02/07/judge-las-vegas-police-must-release-mass-shooting-records/316518002/

Las Vegas police provided false information to judge about mass shooting – Baltimore Post

LAS VEGAS — The 300 pages of Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department search warrants and the affidavits for probable cause relating to Stephen Paddock and the Oct. 1 Las Vegas massacre revealed that police saw Stephen Paddock ‘place a gun go his head fire one round.”

Sergeant Jerry MacDonald made that observation.

MacDonald’s statement was a revelation, as the public was told numerous times by Clark County Sheriff Joe Lombardo who runs the LVMPD, that Paddock was found dead on the floor when officers breached his suite at the Mandalay Bay Hotel, one hour and five minutes after the last shots were fired.

That entry to Paddock’s suite, 32-135 was made with only one member of the 40-man LVMPD SWAT Team who used patrol officers as an ad-hoc SWAT Team, because the full SWAT TEAM was a no-show.

The night of the worst mass shooting in American history when the full SWAT Team was

Read more at: http://baltimorepostexaminer.com/las-vegas-police-provided-false-information-judge-mass-shooting/2018/02/02

Judge unseals search warrants in mass shooting in Las Vegas

A federal judge Friday unsealed more than 300 pages of search warrants related to the mass shooting in Las Vegas that killed 58 people and wounded hundreds, but the documents do little to reveal what prompted the attack. Instead, they demonstrate how authorities continue to seek answers to many questions surrounding the actions and motive of gunman Stephen Paddock.

The search warrants covered electronic accounts of Paddock and his girlfriend, Marilou Danley. They had been sealed for months, but lawyers for several media companies, including the Los Angeles Times, argued for the release of the information.

One warrant for Paddock’s hotel room resulted in the recovery of three cellphones. Two were unlocked, but “neither contained significant information that allowed investigators to determine the full scope of Stephen Paddock’s planning and preparation for the attack.”

The third phone, however, was unable to be unlocked.

Judge aims to referee fight over Charles Manson’s remains

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — The fight over the estate and body of apocalyptic cult leader Charles Manson has fragmented into at least three competing camps that could cash in on songs he wrote that were used by The Beach Boys and Guns N’ Roses.

A Los Angeles judge on Monday will begin trying to sort out at least two conflicting wills and claims to his estate by a purported son, grandson and pen pal.

At stake are commercial rights to the mass murderer’s name, image and mementos that can fetch thousands of dollars from so-called murderabilia collectors.

Manson died at age 83 in November nearly a half-century after he orchestrated the 1969 killings of pregnant actress Sharon Tate and eight other people.

Two people hold wills they claim Manson signed, though a friend says Manson left no will.

Read more at: https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/judge-aims-to-referee-fight-over-charles-manson-s-remains-1.3749053

Judge Aims to Referee Fight Over Charles Manson’s Remains

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) – The fight over the estate and body of apocalyptic cult leader Charles Manson has fragmented into at least three competing camps that could cash in on songs he wrote that were used by The Beach Boys and Guns N’ Roses.

A Los Angeles judge on Monday will begin trying to sort out at least two conflicting wills and claims to his estate by a purported son, grandson and pen pal.

At stake are commercial rights to the mass murderer’s name, image and mementos that can fetch thousands of dollars from so-called murderabilia collectors.

Manson died at age 83 in November nearly a half-century after he orchestrated the 1969 killings of pregnant actress Sharon Tate and eight other people.

Two people hold wills they claim Manson signed, though a friend says Manson left no will.

Read more at: http://www.kdrv.com/content/news/Judge-Aims-to-Referee-Fight-Over-Charles-Mansons-Remains-468248383.html