The US military has added more than 4,000 names to a federal background check database in the three months since a mass shooting revealed the organisation had consistently failed to report troubling convictions to the FBI.
Former Air Force member Devin Kelley killed 25 people, including a pregnant woman, in a mass shooting in Sutherland Springs, Texas in November. The gunman had received a bad conduct discharge from the Air Force in 2012 – a conviction that should have prevented him from ever buying a gun.
But the Air Force later admitted that it had not submitted Mr Kelley’s conviction to the FBI database used for background checks in gun purchases. The failure, the Air Force said in a statement, was “not an isolated incident”.
Three months later, the US military has added 4,284 names to the database – a 38 per cent increase, as first
The Clark County Coroner’s office on Thursday released the official list of the 58 people who were killed in Sunday night’s mass shooting in Las Vegas.
Two of the last people to be confirmed dead were Brett Schwanbeck, 61, and Austin Meyer, 24.
Schwanbeck was attending the Route 91 Harvest country music festival with his fiancée Anna Orozco, according to a GoFundMe page set up by his family.
According to his family, Schwanbeck was injured in the first round of gunfire. Several people helped Orozco carry him to an awaiting ambulance, and he was taken to Sunrise Medical Center where he “fought a great fight to recover from his injuries.”
Schwanbeck, who was from Arizona, succumbed to his injuries on Tuesday.
“Brett was a great man that was funny, generous, kind, loving and so full of joy!” the GoFundMe page reads. “He
While Las Vegas authorities have yet to confirm the victims’ identities following Sunday’s horrific shooting in Las Vegas, reports of their deaths began to surface late Monday through friends, families, and coworkers.
On Thursday night, the Clark County, Nevada coroner’s office released the names of all 58 people confirmed dead following Sunday’s mass shooting. Read the information we have about all the victims below.
Oscar-winning documentary maker on the 1994 murder of six men in County Down – an explosive story which needed to be told
In 1994, six men were killed and five wounded while watching a World Cup soccer match in tiny pub in Loughinisland, Co. Down. The controversial police investigation that followed never led to a single conviction. Celebrated filmmaker Alex Gibney has reopened the infamous case to investigate why no one has ever been brought to justice. Cahir O’Doherty talks to the Academy Award-winning director about his explosive new film, “No Stone Unturned.“
Director Alex Gibney’s explosive new film about the Loughinisland massacre was slated to have its world premiere at the Tribeca Film Festival on April 23 of this year, but it didn’t happen. “No Stone Unturned” was withdrawn from screening due to unspecified “legal issues.”
Viewing his hard-hitting new film for the first-time last week, I can see why
Tara Morgan wrote on Facebook that her brother was in Spencer and Meredith Hight’s wedding and had visited with Spencer, whom he considered a friend, the day before the tragedy.
According to Rion Morgan’s LinkedIn page, he worked as a manager for the University of Texas at Dallas help desk center.
“Rion Morgan’s passing is a tremendous loss to the University community,” university spokesman John Walls said in a prepared statement. “Rion has been a member of the UTD family since 2006; first as a student and then after he graduated, as a full-time employee in the Office of Information Technology. He was an exceptional employee and a warm, kind, generous colleague and friend. He will be dearly missed.”
The crime scene
Yellow crime scene tape still secures much of the block where the shooting occurred less than 48 hours ago. Investigators used duct tape to cover the license plates of nine vehicles parked along
A summer camp run by Palestinian Authority Chairman Mahmoud Abbas’ Fatah faction has been named after one of the most notorious terrorists of the past half-century, a mass-murderer responsible for a terror attack which left 37 Israelis dead and more than 70 wounded.
This summer, Fatah opened the “Martyr Dalal Mughrabi Camp”, named after the Fatah terrorist who helped organize and lead the 1978 Coastal Road Massacre in which 12 Israeli children and 25 adults were slaughtered.
According to the Palestinian Media Watch organization, which tracks anti-Semitic incitement in the PA, the Palestinian Authority’s Ministry of Culture endorsed the Dalal Mughrabi Camp, which was praised by the PA’s official mouthpiece, Al-Hayat Al-Jadida, as a place which helped to create “an educated and aware generation.”
“The [PA] Ministry of Culture office in the Salfit district visited the summer camps in Yasuf, with some of the most prominent of them being the Martyr Dalal Mughrabi