Tag Archives: prison

Dripping Springs soldier gets 18 months in prison for mass shooting threats

WACO, Texas (KXAN) — A Dripping Springs man who threatened to kill people on Fort Hood will spend 18 months in federal prison.

Authorities say on Feb. 22, 2017, Thomas Anthony Chestnut, Jr., 29, called the Army post and spoke to a sergeant whom he proceeded to threaten. Chestnut went on to say he would go to Fort Hood, kill the sergeant, take hostages and stage a mass shooting and kill himself if he weren’t allowed to speak with someone of rank.

When Chestnut was allowed to speak to a major, he told

Read more at: https://kxan.com/2017/12/08/dripping-springs-soldier-gets-18-months-in-prison-for-mass-shooting-threats/

Spree killer caught in Granite City to spend life in prison – Belleville News

A spree killer caught in Granite City after eight murders dropped to his knees to apologize as he was sentenced to life in prison in Missouri.

Nicholas Sheley, 38, was convicted of six murders in Illinois and pleaded guilty Wednesday to two more: Tom and Jill Estes, whom Sheley murdered outside a hotel in Festus, Mo., in June 2008.

Wednesday’s hearing was the first time Sheley had spoken publicly. He read a 20-minute statement in which he expressed a desire to go back in time and talk to “the disgruntled young man” that he had been, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. He dropped to his knees to apologize for the murders, wept and begged for forgiveness, stating that he hoped “God would use me” to help other prisoners.

Sheley had killed an elderly man in Sterling and four people in Rock Falls, as well as a

Read more at: http://www.bnd.com/news/local/crime/article177047251.html

Calif. Mass Killer Sentenced to Life in Prison

Scott Dekraai, who gunned down his ex-wife and seven other people at a Seal Beach beauty salon, was sentenced Friday to life in prison without the possibility of parole, ending a legal odyssey that sparked a sweeping probe into the misuse of informants in the Orange County jail system.

Dekraai, the worst mass killer in Orange County history, originally faced the death penalty, but Orange County Superior Court Judge Thomas Goethals removed capital punishment as an option in response to the prosecutorial misconduct allegations stemming from the snitch scandal.

Dekraai was given eight consecutive life sentences — one for each of his victims — plus an additional 232 years to life.

Goethals tried to reassure victims’ relatives in court that sparing Dekraai the death penalty was not a victory for the defendant. The judge told the courtroom that a maximum-security prison is the “definition of hard time.”

Goethals called

Read more at: http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/california/OC-Worst-Mass-Killer-Awaits-Sentencing-for-Shooting-Killing-Eight-People-in-Salon-446729633.html

Mass Killer Scott Dekraai Gets Life In Prison In Case Tainted By Government Misconduct

SANTA ANA, Calif. ― Scott Dekraai, the shooter in the worst mass killing in Orange County, California, history, was sentenced on Friday to eight consecutive life terms in prison without the possibility of parole, rather than receiving the death penalty, because of government misconduct linked to a jail informant program.

Read more at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/scott-dekraai-sentence-life-in-prison_us_59c51e64e4b01cc57ff1a5b3

California mass killer sentenced to life in prison for hair salon attack

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – A California man was sentenced on Friday to life in prison without the possibility of parole for the worst mass killing in Orange County history, the 2011 shooting deaths of eight people at a hair salon where his ex-wife worked.

Scott Dekraai, a 47-year-old former tugboat worker, was spared the death penalty in August when a judge ruled that serious misconduct by Orange County prosecutors had violated his rights to a fair trial.

“The gates of Hell flew open and you emerged as the face of evil in this community” Superior Court Judge Thomas Goethals told Dekraai before pronouncing the sentence, according to the Orange County Register newspaper.

The Los Angeles Times reported that Dekraai attempted to apologize to the husband of one of his victims but was cut off by a member of the audience shouting “Shut up!”

Dekraai was locked in a custody battle

Read more at: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-california-salon-massacre/california-mass-killer-sentenced-to-life-in-prison-for-hair-salon-attack-idUSKCN1BX2PN

‘The face of evil’: Worst mass shooter in Orange County history sentenced to life in prison

A former tugboat captain who carried out Orange County’s worst mass shooting was sentenced to spend the rest of his life in prison Friday for killing eight people at a Seal Beach salon in 2011.

The sentencing of Scott Evans Dekraai, 47, marked an emotional end to a case that has roiled the county’s criminal justice system amid allegations that authorities used a secret network of jailhouse informants to violate inmates’ constitutional rights.

The so-called snitch scandal led Orange County Superior Court Judge Thomas Goethals last month to block prosecutors from pursuing the death penalty against Dekraai, ruling that the county’s mishandling of information regarding informants would prevent a fair trial. The decision, which followed lengthy hearings that included testimony from Orange County Sheriff Sandra Hutchens, was criticized by law enforcement leaders, who said Dekraai deserves to be executed.

“The criminal justice system here in Orange County has largely failed you,” Goethals said

Read more at: http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-scott-dekraai-sentencing-20170922-story.html

Worst Mass Killer in OC History Sentenced to Life in Prison for Shooting, Killing 8 in Seal Beach Beauty Salon

Scott Dekraai, who gunned down his ex-wife and seven other people at a Seal Beach beauty salon, was sentenced Friday to life in prison without the possibility of parole, ending a legal odyssey that sparked a sweeping probe into the misuse of informants in the Orange County jail system.

Dekraai, the worst mass killer in Orange County history, originally faced the death penalty, but Orange County Superior Court Judge Thomas Goethals removed capital punishment as an option in response to the prosecutorial misconduct allegations stemming from the snitch scandal.

Dekraai was given eight consecutive life sentences — one for each of his victims — plus an additional 232 years to life.

Goethals tried to reassure victims’ relatives in court that sparing Dekraai the death penalty was not a victory for the defendant. The judge told the courtroom that a maximum-security prison is the “definition of hard time.”

No Death

Read more at: http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/OC-Worst-Mass-Killer-Awaits-Sentencing-for-Shooting-Killing-Eight-People-in-Salon-446729633.html

Seal Beach mass murderer sentenced to life in prison for salon killings

A California man was sentenced to eight consecutive life terms in prison without parole Friday for killing his ex-wife and seven others in a shooting rampage at the hair salon where she worked.

Scott Dekraai, a 47-year-old former tugboat operator, was sentenced in Orange County for the Oct. 12, 2011 killings to which he pleaded guilty three years ago.

Orange County Superior Court Judge Thomas Goethals ruled in August that Dekraai could not receive the death penalty because of misconduct on the part of OC prosecutors and law enforcement. 

At Dekraai’s sentencing hearing, Goethals told the victims’ family and friends gathered in the courtroom, “the criminal justice system here in Orange County has largely failed you.”

Dekraai was also sentenced to seven years to life for the attempted murder of Hattie Stretz, plus additional years for using a gun. Dekraai “would have to serve more than 200 years in prison before he would ever become eligible for

Read more at: https://www.scpr.org/news/2017/09/22/75859/california-man-faces-life-sentence-for-killing-8-i/