Tag Archives: rejects

Judge rejects dismissing charges in case where man claims Sheriff’s Department and Santa Ana PD destroyed evidence

SANTA ANA – A judge denied a request on Wednesday to dismiss charges against a man accused of shooting at officers during a police chase, ruling that there was insufficient evidence to prove that law enforcement conspired to destroy video and audio recordings.

Jimmy Hoang Truong, 30, faces multiple felony counts including attempted murder on police officers and evading them during a pursuit and a 90-minute standoff in Santa Ana in November 2015. No one was injured.

Truong’s attorney, Mark Hover, insisted that Truong never fired at officers and that law enforcement destroyed evidence from helicopter videos and dispatch recordings.

The prosecution has maintained that no video footage was destroyed, and that there is no evidence that police acted in bad faith.

If convicted, Truong, who has a lengthy criminal record, faces more than 80 years to life in prison.

After a three-week hearing, Orange County Superior Court Judge Thomas Goethals sided with prosecutors, stating

Read more at: http://www.ocregister.com/2017/12/20/judge-rejects-dismissing-charges-in-case-where-man-claims-sheriffs-department-and-santa-ana-pd-destroyed-evidence/

Norway’s top court rejects mass murderer Breivik’s appeal

Neo-Nazi mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik, who killed 77 people in 2011, will take his case over his “inhumane” prison conditions to the European Court of Human Rights, his lawyer said yesterday after exhausting all legal options in Norway.

Breivik, who for safety reasons has been held apart from other inmates since his arrest in 2011, has complained about his lengthy isolation. He wants the Norwegian state to be found guilty of violating the European Convention on Human Rights, which prohibits “inhumane” and “degrading” treatment. But Norway’s highest court, the Supreme Court, yesterday refused to hear his case.

“None of the elements in the Breivik appeal have any chance of winning,” the court said in a statement.

“Neither does the case raise any questions about the interpretation of the European Convention that haven’t already been sufficiently clarified by the practices of the European Court of Human Rights,” it added.

Breivik’s lawyer argued that his

Read more at: https://www.dailysabah.com/europe/2017/06/09/norways-top-court-rejects-mass-murderer-breiviks-appeal

Orlando Cop with PTSD from Mass Shooting Rejects New Job

By David E. Hubler
Contributor, EMD Digest

An Orlando police officer who responded to the Pulse nightclub mass shooting last June is suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder and is fighting the Police Department over his new assignment.

Officer Gerry Realin was a member of the police team tasked with removing the 49 bodies recovered from the club in the early hours of June 12, 2016. Sixty-eight other patrons and staff were wounded in the attack by shooter Omar Mateen. Mateen was killed in a shootout with police.

Realin returned to duty several weeks after the attack, but his PTSD prevented him from performing his police duties. His doctors said he could perform municipal clerical duties, but not for the Police Department.

When Realin’s worker’s compensation payments ran out, the city began to pay his full salary again, even though Orlando police health benefits do not cover PTSD-related conditions.

Last week, Realin was told to report

Read more at: http://edmdigest.com/news/orlando-cop-ptsd/

New Orleans judge rejects first-degree murder in November’s Bourbon Street mass shooting

Two Lafayette men accused of a shootout that left one bystander dead and nine wounded on Bourbon Street during last November’s Bayou Classic weekend no longer can be held without bond on first-degree murder allegations, a New Orleans judge ruled Wednesday (Feb. 15).

Orleans Parish Magistrate Judge Harry Cantrell said he could only find probable cause to detain accused 20-year-old shooters Jordan Clay and Travon Manuel on reduced allegations of manslaughter and nine counts of attempted manslaughter. Cantrell set bond at $1.375 million for each defendant.

District Attorney Leon Cannizzaro’s office still could wind up prosecuting the defendants on murder charges, if it can secure such an indictment from an Orleans Parish grand jury before April 5.

Cantrell made his ruling following a preliminary hearing in which NOPD homicide detective Barrett Morton laid out the evidence in his investigation of the Nov. 27 mass shooting in the French Quarter. In the incident, Baton

Read more at: http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2017/02/new_orleans_judge_finds_no_pro.html

‘Media cover-up’: Hollywood rejects biopic on mass murderer Kermit …

HOLLYWOOD, California, December 5, 2016 (LifeSiteNews) — A movie about illegal late-term abortionist Kermit Gosnell, whose “House of Horrors” was described in grisly detail by FBI agents, is so realistic that the filmmakers say no major film distributor will release it to theaters.

Streaming services also turned down the politically-incorrect documentary produced by the husband-and-wife duo of Phelim McAleer and Ann McElhinney. McElhinney said they even sought a PG-13 rating, downplaying many of the graphic scenes and court testimony to make the film more accessible.

Noting that mainstream media for the most part avoided reporting on Gosnell’s trial, McElhinney commented, “This is continuing the media cover-up — they don’t want anything that asks difficult questions about abortion.”

The producers, who have also written a book about Gosnell, are now planning an independent release by necessity. They say test screenings have garnered “off the charts” approval from audiences.

Read more at: https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/rebuffed-by-hollywood-filmmakers-determined-to-get-controversial-gosnell-ho