Accused Fresno shooting-rampage suspect Kori Ali Muhammad will stand trial on Jan. 8 to determine whether he is legally competent to face murder and attempted murder charges in connection with the spree that left four people dead in April.
Prosecutor Brian Hutchins and Muhammad’s attorney, Richard Beshwate Jr., on Thursday confirmed the Jan. 8 date in Fresno County Superior Court. Three court-appointed doctors who have examined Muhammad in jail will likely testify in the trial. Two of the doctors contend Muhammad is incompetent to stand trial.
The hearing will not determine whether Muhammad is guilty or innocent of the criminal charges. Rather, it will decide if he is competent enough to understand the charges against him.
Muhammad, 39, was arrested April 18 after police said he went on a shooting spree near downtown Fresno that left three men dead: Mark Gassett, David Jackson and Zackary Randalls. Muhammad also faces attempted murder charges for
The man accused of plotting a mass shooting at a Jacksonville Islamic Center has pleaded not guilty in court.
Bernandino Bolatete, 69, is accused of plotting a mass shooting at the Islamic Center but is in FBI custody and he’s been charged with knowingly receiving and possessing a silencer not registered to him in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record. The investigation is ongoing.
During meetings with the undercover officer, Bolatete repeatedly expressed his hatred for Muslims and told the officer about a medical condition involving his kidney. The suspect said he used to a be a “Rangemaster” at a shooting range in the Philippines. Years ago, someone accidentally shot the suspect in the back while he was working at the range, resulting in the loss of a kidney, a criminal complaint said.
The suspect in the serial killings spanning a 51-day period that terrorized a Tampa neighborhood used the same gun in four killings, but had “no apparent motive,” the city’s top law enforcement official said Wednesday.
The suspect, 24-year-old Howell Emanuel Donaldson III, admitted he owned the gun that was turned over to police Tuesday and that cracked the case, but did not admit to the killings, Tampa Police Chief Brian Dugan said at a
Cops stopped a gunman in downtown Reno on Tuesday, after announcing they were hunting an active shooter and sparking fears of another Las Vegas-style attack.
Reno police tweeted at 7:50 p.m. PST that they were dealing with a “possible active shooter” and urged everyone to steer clear of the area.
SWAT cops later stormed the luxury apartment tower where the shooter was holed up and he was killed, officials said. It wasn’t immediately clear if he was killed by police or committed suicide. No one else was hurt, cops said.
Las Vegas resident Mike Pavicich, in Reno for business, was walking in downtown when he heard shots – and immediately thought of last month’s mass shooting that killed 58.
“When you heard it’s coming from above it reminds you of the guy shooting from Mandalay Bay … it’s scary you know? This is the same kind of town,” Pavicich told the Reno
RANCHO TEHAMA RESERVE, Calif. — The day before a man went on a shooting spree at seven sites in this Northern California community, he killed his wife in their home and cut a hole in the floor to hide her body, sheriff’s officials said Wednesday.
The killing of the woman, whose name has not been released, raises the death toll to five at the hands of suspect Kevin Janson Neal, 43, who also is dead.
Two Tehama County sheriff’s deputies killed him Tuesday in a shootout after they rammed his vehicle as he fled one of the crime scenes.
“He shot her at some point, probably late Monday, … put her body in
Hayne Rucker and Aaron Stephens said they had been checking out their purchases near the front of the Walmart when they heard a loud bang that echoed through the aisles. Two gunshots followed, and then three or four more in quick succession, they said.
Continue reading the main story
“I just tore toward the door,” Mr. Rucker said.
Gonzalo Benitez, a construction worker, said he had been buying food for his family when he heard six or seven gunshots and customers began screaming.
“A lot of people crying, running fast,” Mr. Benitez, 44, said. “I see a couple of people on the floor.”
He and other customers rushed through the aisles to a rear exit door, he said, and had to pound against it to force it open.
Even as the Thornton police warned people to stay away from the crime scene,
A man accused of shooting five coworkers in Maryland, killing three of them, then shooting a sixth person in Wilmington will be tried in Delaware first.
Prosecutors from the Delaware Department of Justice and the Harford County State’s Attorney’s Office released a joint statement about the criminal prosecutions of Radee Prince, on Monday afternoon.
Prince faces lesser charges in Delaware, however, the reasoning behind trying the 37-year-old in Delaware first is to ensure he can’t be paroled. Delaware’s criminal sentencing law does not provide parole, whereas parole may be available under Maryland law.
“A Delaware sentence will have more certainty,” the statement read. “Prince will ultimately face trials in both states, Delaware’s proceeding will simply occur first.”