Tag Archives: trial

Brother of Toulouse mass murderer goes on trial

A MAN has gone on trial in Paris accused of aiding his al-Qaeda fanatic brother in a nine-day killing spree of Jews and Muslim soldiers.

Abdelkader Merah, 35, is said to have helped Mohammed Merah, who was 23 when finally shot dead by police, carry out the atrocities around Toulouse in 2012.

The victims included three soldiers and three children, aged three, five and eight, along with a rabbi.

Mr Merah is said to have stolen the scooter for the attacks. A second defendant, Fettah Malki, 34, is said to have provided an Uzi submachine gun.

They admit supplying the equipment but deny knowing it would be used in the attacks.

Read more at: https://www.metro.news/brother-of-toulouse-mass-murderer-goes-on-trial/767346/

Trial of Swiss mass murderer to begin in March 2018

On September 21st 2015, Thomas N allegedly murdered Carla Schauer (48), her two sons David (19) and Dion (13), and their 21-year-old friend Simona in the normally quiet Swiss town of Rupperswil in a case that shocked the country.

The trial will take place in the Lenzburg Regional Court in March 2018 and will likely last four days, communicated the Canton of Aargau on Thursday September 28th.

Swiss media have described the murders as one of the “most gruesome cases in Swiss criminal history:” The accused reportedly killed his victims with a kitchen knife before setting fire to their home.  

Dubbed the ‘Beast of Rupperswil’ by media outlets, the accused was a local football coach who lived only a few doors away from the victims he brutally murdered. 

The 34-year-old alleged killer has been charged with multiple murders, rapacious blackmail, deprivation of liberty, the taking of multiple hostages and a

Read more at: https://www.thelocal.ch/20170928/trial-of-swiss-mass-murderer-to-begin-in-march-2018

Jury will decide if accused spree killer Muhammad can stand trial

A jury will decide whether accused spree killer Kori Muhammad is mentally competent to stand trial. The trial will begin Oct. 13.

The decision comes after Muhammad’s lawyer and the Fresno County District Attorney’s office could not agree on his mental state. Two court-appointed doctors ruled him unfit, while a psychologist hired by the prosecution deemed him able to stand trial.

As he has at previous hearings, Muhammad yelled “let black people go and reparations,” “Allahu Akbar” and a few other inaudible comments over Judge Brian Alvarez as the judge attempted to close the hearing.

In June, Muhammad was found unfit to stand by court-appointed psychologist Richard Kendall. The details of Kendall’s report are confidential. Muhammad’s lawyer, Richard Beshwate Jr., said his client had a documented history of schizophrenia and has been taking medication while in jail.

After Kendall’s finding, the prosecution asked for a second opinion. Howard

Read more at: http://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/crime/article172833846.html

Munich shooting: Darknet weapons dealer goes on trial

A Munich court on Monday opened proceedings against 32-year-old Philipp K, who the prosecution alleged supplied the weapon used in a deadly rampage at Munich’s Olympia mall last year.

The accused faces nine charges of involuntary manslaughter. Philipp K. admitted all charges of illegal arms sales, including the sale of a Glock 17 gun and 450 rounds of ammunition to Munich attacker David S.

Read more: Munich shooter liked Nazis, Breivik, identified as Aryan, says report

David S., a 17-year-old Nazi sympathizer who suffered from mental illness, is believed to have acquired the weapon from Philipp K. after the two made contact over the darknet. They then met up in the central German town of Marburg where they made the exchange.

In his openning statement, Philipp K. expressed his condolences to the relatives of the victims and explained that, had he known David S. was mentally ill and intended to “commit such an atrocious act,” he would have never sold

Read more at: http://www.dw.com/en/munich-shooting-darknet-weapons-dealer-goes-on-trial/a-40263154

Munich shooting: Darknet weapons dealer goes on trial | News | DW …

A Munich court on Monday opened proceedings against 32-year-old Philipp K, who the prosecution alleged supplied the weapon used in a deadly rampage at Munich’s Olympia mall last year.

The accused faces nine charges of involuntary manslaughter. Philipp K. admitted all charges of illegal arms sales, including the sale of a Glock 17 gun and 450 rounds of ammunition to Munich attacker David S.

Read more: Munich shooter liked Nazis, Breivik, identified as Aryan, says report

David S., a 17-year-old Nazi sympathizer who suffered from mental illness, is believed to have acquired the weapon from Philipp K. after the two made contact over the darknet. They then met up in the central German town of Marburg where they made the exchange.

In his openning statement, Philipp K. expressed his condolences to the relatives of the victims and explained that, had he known David S. was mentally ill and intended to “commit such an atrocious act,” he would have never sold

Read more at: http://www.dw.com/en/munich-shooting-darknet-weapons-dealer-goes-on-trial/a-40263154

Confessed mass killer Kori Muhammad incompetent for trial, doctors say

Two court-appointed doctors say confessed mass killer Kori Ali Muhammad is incompetent to stand trial in connection with an April shooting spree that left four dead, it was announced Tuesday.

One doctor hired by the Fresno County District Attorney’s Office, however, said Muhammad is competent to stand trial.

The 2-1 vote typically means Muhammad would go to a state hospital until his competency is restored. But because it’s a high-profile case, the prosecution’s next move is unclear.

At a brief hearing, Superior Court Judge Brian Alvarez scheduled a hearing for Sept. 12 to go over the doctors’ reports.

Muhammad is charged with murder in the April 13 shooting death of a motel security guard Carl Allen Williams II. He also is charged with murder in an April 18 shooting rampage that killed Zackary David Randalls, 34, of Clovis; Mark James Gassett, 37,

Read more at: http://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/crime/article168621072.html

Confessed mass killer Kori Muhammad incompetent for trial, doctors …

Two court-appointed doctors say confessed mass killer Kori Ali Muhammad is incompetent to stand trial in connection with an April shooting spree that left four dead, it was announced Tuesday.

One doctor hired by the Fresno County District Attorney’s Office, however, said Muhammad is competent to stand trial.

The 2-1 vote typically means Muhammad would go to a state hospital until his competency is restored. But because it’s a high-profile case, the prosecution’s next move is unclear.

At a brief hearing, Superior Court Judge Brian Alvarez scheduled a hearing for Sept. 12 to go over the doctors’ reports.

Muhammad is charged with murder in the April 13 shooting death of a motel security guard Carl Allen Williams II. He also is charged with murder in an April 18 shooting rampage that killed Zackary David Randalls, 34, of Clovis; Mark James Gassett, 37,

Read more at: http://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/crime/article168621072.html

Accused mass killer Kori Muhammad incompetent for trial, doctors say

Two court-appointed doctors say confessed mass killer Kori Ali Muhammad is incompetent to stand trial in connection with an April shooting spree that left four dead, it was announced Tuesday.

One doctor hired by the Fresno County District Attorney’s Office, however, said Muhammad is competent to stand trial.

The 2-1 vote typically means Muhammad would go to a state hospital until his competency is restored. But because it’s a high-profile case, the prosecution’s next move is unclear.

At a brief hearing, Superior Court Judge Brian Alvarez scheduled a hearing for Sept. 12 to go over the doctors’ reports.

Muhammad is charged with murder in the April 13 shooting death of a motel security guard Carl Allen Williams II. He also is charged with murder in an April 18 shooting rampage that killed Zackary David Randalls, 34, of Clovis; Mark James Gassett, 37,

Read more at: http://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/crime/article168621072.html

Trial set for Dripping Springs man who threatened mass shooting

A Dripping Springs man indicted in March for allegedly threatening to conduct a mass shooting at Fort Hood has been found competent to stand trial, according to reports.

A July 31 trial date has now been set for Thomas Anthony Chestnut, 28, of Dripping Springs, who entered a plea of not guilty to Federal Magistrate Jeffrey Manske, according to a report from KWKT-TV in Waco.

Manske’s decision to set the trial date came after he received a 16-page report from doctors informing him Chestnut was competent to stand trial, according to the report. 

In March, a Federal grand jury in Waco indicted Chestnut on one count of interstate communications with threat to injure after he allegedly made threats to kill individuals at Fort Hood.  

If convicted, Chestnut faces up to five years in federal prison.

Read more at: https://haysfreepress.com/2017/07/12/trial-set-for-dripping-springs-man-who-threatened-mass-shooting/

Can OC’s worst mass killer get fair trial, life or death?

Scott Evans Dekraai. Photo via the Orange County Sheriff’s Department

Orange County Sheriff Sandra Hutchens will begin testifying Wednesday in an evidentiary hearing regarding the use of jailhouse informants as part of the death penalty case against Scott Evans Dekraai, the worst mass killer in the county’s history.

Dekraai, who pleaded guilty in May 2014 to eight murders and one attempted murder for a 2011 massacre at a Seal Beach beauty salon, is awaiting the penalty phase of the legal proceedings, with the state Attorney General’s Office still pursuing the death penalty.

The Orange County District Attorney’s Office was kicked off the case for outrageous governmental misconduct.

Orange County Superior Court Judge Thomas Goethals, who booted Orange County prosecutors from the case, is holding a third round of evidentiary hearings into how the prosecution was handled to determine if it is

Read more at: http://mynewsla.com/orange-county/2017/07/03/can-ocs-worst-mass-killer-get-fair-trial-life-or-death/